The Costs Of A Catastrophic Injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Severe burns
LOSSES FROM CATASTROPHIC INJURIESEach victim of a catastrophic injury will have a different story and a different path to recovery. Some people may eventually return to their usual lives, while others may deal with impairments for the rest of their lives. Some of the extensive losses can involve the following:
- Medical bills for emergency transportation, diagnostic care and stabilization, hospitalization, staying in intensive care, surgeries, medical equipment, medication, accommodations at home, rehabilitation, home health assistance, and ongoing treatment.
- Lost wages from missing work right after the injury, which can sometimes be for months, as well as lost earnings if you cannot return to your previous job - or to work at all.
- Physical pain and suffering that stems from a severe injury
- Mental trauma from your injuries and their effects
- Permanent disabilities or disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life if you cannot engage in previously loved activities